Monday, February 28, 2011

The Last Surviving U.S. Veteran Of World War I Has Died



Frank Buckles, Last World War I Doughboy, Is Dead At 110 -- New York Times

Frank Buckles, who drove an Army ambulance in France in 1918 and came to symbolize a generation of embattled young Americans as the last of the World War I doughboys, died on Sunday at his home in Charles Town, W. Va. He was 110.

His death was announced by a family spokesman, David DeJonge, The Associated Press said.

He was only a corporal and he never got closer than 30 or so miles from the Western Front trenches, but Mr. Buckles became something of a national treasure as the last living link to the two million men who served in the American Expeditionary Forces in France in “the war to end all wars.”

Read more ....

More News On The Passing Of Frank Buckles

Frank Buckles, America's last WWI veteran, dies aged 110 -- BBC
Frank Buckles, last American veteran of World War I, dies at 110 -- L.A. Times
Frank Buckles: What the last doughboy wanted for other veterans -- Christian Science Monitor
Last U.S. veteran of World War One dies at 110 -- Reuters
America's last World War I veteran dies -- AFP
Frank Buckles, Last Remaining American World War I Vet, Dies at 110 -- Time Magazine
America's last surviving veteran of World War I dies aged 110 years old -- The Daily Mail

My comment: Truly the end of an era.

No comments: