Tuesday, June 30, 2009

US Spy In Rendition Trial: 'I Followed Orders'


From Yahoo News/AP:

ROME – A former CIA agent on trial for the alleged kidnapping of a Muslim cleric and terror suspect in Milan acknowledged in an interview published Tuesday that he had a role in the operation but insisted he was only following orders.

Italy's Il Giornale daily published a rare interview with Robert Seldon Lady, the CIA Milan station chief at the time of the 2003 disappearance of Egyptian cleric Osama Moustafa Hassan Nasr, also known as Abu Omar, from a street in the northern city.

"I am not guilty. I am only responsible for following an order I received from my superiors," Lady was quoted as saying by Il Giornale. "It was not a criminal act. It was a state affair."

Read more ....

My Comment: Hmmmm .... he may have followed orders .... but he still violated Italian law, and as far as the Italians are concerned you are responsible for the consequences. Sigh .... another sore point between the U.S. and Europe.

No comments: